Saturday, March 24, 2007

Criminal Minds: Honor Among Thieves, Part 2

As for the rest of my day on Honor Among Thieves, I spotted someone sitting in one of the producer's chairs on the set, and I thought it would be good to introduce myself. So, inbetween one of the takes, I did just that. I told him my name and that I was Jill's friend, the lady who runs the Criminal Minds Fanatic blog. His eyes lit up and he goes, "Oh yeah, what a neat lady". This guy turned out to be Aaron Zelman. He is one of the writers for the show and a producer. Jill also mentioned her time talking with Aaron on her blog. He was a really cool guy and I talked to him for a few minutes. He had a coke in one hand and his writing pad in the other. I imagine Aaron would be able to empathize with me as a medical student. I mean, both of us have probably spent many nights in a small room, with a bunch of papers and a caffeine product to stay awake.

At around lunch time, I had a little conversation (actually rather lengthy) with Trish. Remember I mentioned her in my last post. I just wanted to mention her here again because she said some really nice things to me. I told her my story about leaving med school, coming to LA, blah blah blah. Most, actually the vast majority, of adults that I tell this to give me an adverse reaction ranging from a face that says, "are you stupid?", to flat out telling me, "ohhhh no, you gotta go back, you gotta go back" as they sigh and shake their head. This is why I don't share this story in person much anymore? I mean, what is the BIG DEAL??? They act as though acting is not a legitimate profession. I know that the chances of succeeding here are microscopic. I probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightening. That's not negative thinking, it's just the cold, hard facts. It's reality, from a statistical point of view. But how will I ever know if I don't TRY?!?!?!? Geez.....I've gotten so mad at one point that I really almost cussed someone out one time (I actually was in my head), but luckily my parents raised me to always respect my elders, and I do. So I kindly bite my tongue and just walk away. Look, I'm young, I don't have a wife or kids. I have no responsibilities. My goal is to have no regrets when this (meaning life) is all said and done. Now, back to Trish. She told me that I should keep up what I was doing here because she could tell that I was not happy in med school. She was very supportive and told me how her family kind of shot down her dreams when she was younger and it had a devastating effect on her. It's not right. Parents need to let go of their children when they become adults and let them explore the world. There is so much out there, and I just want to say that I feel I am where I am supposed to be here in LA. Thanks to Trish for her positive words and advice!

Toward the end of the day on set I was still trying to squeeze in a "Hello" to Thomas Gibson (Hotch) and Paget Brewster (Prentiss). Didn't happen! As Jill mentioned in her blog, Thomas had been having some long days and was really tired and stressed and I wasn't even going to go there. I mean, when he finished his last scene, it was like he vanished into thin air he was out of there so fast. I don't blame him. Paget was a different story. Inbetween almost every take, she would leave the set and go to her trailer. So, I couldn't really catch her to say "Hi". It's ok, hopefully I will get the chance to work on the set again!

That folks, was my time on Criminal Minds. I had a good time. I hope to see them all again and I hope Jill gets to come back for a visit.

This quote is not "positive" per se, so much as it is a true statement, which fits rather nicely with my rant from above:

"Countless numbers of men and women, both young and old, permit relatives to wreck their lives in the name of duty because they fear criticism. People refuse to take chances in business because they fear the criticism that may follow if they fail. The fear of criticism in such cases is stronger than the desire for success.
Too many people refuse to set high goals for themselves, or even neglect selecting a career, because they fear the criticism of relatives and 'friends' who may say, 'Don't aim so high, people will think you are crazy.'"

--Napolean Hill, Think and Grow Rich

Ahhhhh......where do I start? I know this quote is long but I relate soooo much to it. I literally had to read this quote at least once a day for 30 days leading up to my move from Ohio to Los Angeles. I was scared, but I did it. I know it was hard for my mom, and I know it must be hard for any parent. But if you are a parent reading this, please acknowledge it and at least think about. After all, what you want most for your child is for them to be happy, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, we know how you should be part of the BAU team...They just need to listen to us. I am sure Jill will get their attention!

And those naysayers, don't listen to them. Follow your dreams, Kris. Even if you have to fight for them, and it's rough. If you give in and let them die, a part of you dies.

You can always go back to med school later. There is no law that says you can't. It's time to defy gravity, close your eyes...and LEAP.

(and that, my new friend, is a quote from a song in 'Wicked'....but your quote is good too. *giggle*)

Have a wonderful day...oh..and have I mentioned you should update your blog?

:D