Sunday, September 03, 2006

I Don't Know What to Title This One

I want to start off by saying that this post is probably going to be long, but it will be the LAST really long one. I kinda don't like sitting here and typing a book every time. Plus, I was reading through my own blog last night and even I got tired of reading a really long entry. So, once again, I'm going to try to post shorter blogs more often. I think people might like that better. I'm going to try to do a minimum of two per week, one on the weekend and one midweek, maybe more if exciting things happen.

This brings me to my next point. Just wanted to say I appreciate the comments whether they're on here or on facebook or myspace. Everyone enjoys feedback, right? And I usually try to respond. Also, a special thanks to Justin M. for helping me get my blog together. When I first created this thing, I didn't know what the heck I was doing and he explained the whole process to me.

On to my week. Topics covered in this blog: Mulholland Drive, Ohio connections, Matthew Perry, and Steve Carrell.

The other day, my friends and I took a drive down Mulholland. For those who don't know, let me try and explain. Everyone knows the Hollywood sign is on the side of a mountain, right? That mountain range is part of the Santa Monica mountains. They stretch from the ocean all the way east almost to downtown (about 20-25 miles). Half way between the coast and downtown L.A. is where I live at the base of one of the mountains, or hills rather, on the south side of the hills. Over the hills, to the north, is the San Fernando Valley which is flat and hot. There are a few roads here and there that run north and south through the mountains connecting greater L.A. with the Valley. Then there is Mulholland Drive. It runs east and west over top of the mountains. So, driving up there, you see great views of L.A. and of the Valley. This is also where all of the mansions are. I always saw these houses on shows like "Cribs" on MTV and wondered where they were and how you get there. Now I know. Those are some HUGE houses up there. Some look so modern they look like they belong on the moon or something. It was really cool seeing the views from the city up there and its no wonder everyone wants to live there. Hopefully I will one day. Although, I would have to have another house somewhere like in Beverly Hills or something because we didn't see any kind of shops or grocery stores up there. Plus, I'd probably get tired of driving up those windy roads everyday just to get to my place. But then again, I might not!

Next thing is all the references to Ohio I've been seeing. It's really weird actually. I've seen an Ohio St. here, a Dayton St., and many references to Ohio in movies. I was on a set the other day reading a newspaper (USA Today, I think) and there was an article about Hilton Head Island and how it is all environmentally safe and stuff. There was a picture of a couple walking on the beach and the caption said they were from Oxford, Ohio. Oxford is such a small town in Ohio and its home to Miami University where I went to college, so I thought, what are the chances of that. Skip ahead a few pages in the same newspaper and there is an article about someone traveling across the country sampling food at restaurants. This particular day the article was about food in Columbus, Ohio and they were talking about a restaurant in Upper Arlington, which is basically where I lived last year. At this point I had to just put the newspaper down. I really hope these were signs to just help me not forget where I came from as opposed to signs that I'm supposed to go back to Ohio. That ain't happenin!!! haha

Now to the work week. I was on two shows this week. One of them is Matthew Perry's new show. It's called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I guess it is a spoof on sketch comedy shows like SNL and MAD TV. They do some skits, but then you see what goes on behind the scenes or something. Regardless, this show absolutely sucked to work on. I just played an audience member, so it basically consisted of us sitting there and clapping all day. And that day was a 12 hour day. Matthew wasn't working on that particular day, but he did come in briefly and watched. He seems cool, and he had a bit of an entourage with him. One was his personal assistant, and when they came into the studio, he took of his jacket and hung it on her shoulder, and she was also holding a drink for him too. It was funny. As for his appearance, all I can say is that make-up is a wonderful thing for Hollywood. I'm not trying to be mean, just truthful. And the truth is that his years of drinking have really taken a toll on his appearance. For anyone out there who drinks on a regular basis, I suggest you stop now, unless you can afford a make-up team to make you look great everyday.

Thursday and Friday I worked on The Office with Steve Carrell. It was fun because we shot on location at the Burbank Hilton Hotel. The scene took place at a convention in a hotel lobby where a whole bunch of businesses set up booths, etc. Well, they actually brought in real companies, including microsoft, symantec, nokia, and a lot more. And these companies brought all their real stuff, so as a bonus we got a whole bunch of free stuff that day. I've never watched The Office before, but I think I'm going to start. Steve is really funny and I was cracking up at some of the scenes they were shooting. One thing about Steve though. I know it must get frustrating for comedians and comedic actors because we always see them being funny and stupid on tv, and we assume that they're always like that. But in reality, they are just like us and they have bad days, and some aren't the happy-go-lucky personalities they portray on tv at all. It's just acting. I don't quite know what Steve's deal is, but he is one of those actors that when the director says "Cut!", he turns it OFF, quick. In between takes I don't even think I saw Steve smile once. He walked around looking really serious, almost evil sometimes. Maybe he was just trying to stay focused and remember his lines, maybe he is just a serious person in real life. Your guess is as good as mine. I wonder what Jim Carrey is like in person. I heard Will Ferrell is a goof ball off camera. Oh well, to each his own.

I told you this blog was going to be long and I actually had to type it in two segments. I think that's all I have to say, other than that I'm finally getting the hang of the traffic patterns here. So when I go somewhere now, I get there pretty much on time. Not 45 minutes early, not 5 minutes late.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I heard people in H-wood (like Steve Carrell) seem a lot shorter in person, because of the way TV/movies projects them into something greater. True?

Anonymous said...

Hey

Loved your headshots. You have as good a chance as anyone in Hollywood to make it. Good luck,

MV