Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Newsflash! I'm Not Coming Home Anymore

Due to recent events, I have had to cancel my trip to Columbus for this weekend. Go ahead, take a second to wipe that tear, lol. Basically, I got a call from a show and they offered me a job for this weekend. I'm not saying which show. It's not that I'm trying to be all secretive, I just don't want to jinx anything.

Basically, it's nothing big, no big speaking role or anything, but they offered me 2 union (SAG) vouchers, and I couldn't pass it up. Let me explain. The Screen Actor's Guild (SAG) is the union for actors that protects the actors rights. Mostly all shows on tv and mostly all feature films are franchised with SAG. SAG rules state that a production company that is franchised with the union can only hire union actors for roles. If they hire non-union actors (like myself) they are subject to paying a few thousand dollars in fines. So, every actor here is fighting their way into the union. How do you get into the union? There are 2 main ways. One is to miraculously get a speaking part on a project (I've seen it happen, sometimes the director likes someone so much, they will pay those fines). The other way is to obtain 3 union vouchers by doing background work. The vouchers DO NOT get handed out frivolously. They are very hard to get. People beg for them. There is even a black market for them here!! People actually will pay a few hundred dollars to buy a voucher off of someone. Well, this show offered me 2, count em, TWO vouchers. So you see, I couldn't pass this up. This is the whole reason I came to L.A.; to eventually join SAG. I doubt this opportunity would come very soon again. Now I only need one more voucher!

Joining SAG will make it A LITTLE easier to get an agent and to get auditions for the good paying commercials, tv shows, and films. Ya dig?? I knew everyone would understand. I have to say, I was REALLY excited to come home and see everyone though. I had me weekend all planned out. And go figure, I've been trying to get vouchers for 4 months, and not until my vacation do they get offered to me!! Oh well....I guess that's fate/life.

I'm not sure now when is the next time I will be able to make it to Ohio, but I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

P.S. -- Did I mention the SAG rate for doing background is more than double the non-union rate?!?!?!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you make yet another big step forward! Keep us all informed :)

konrad

Nichole said...

Sorry to hear you won't be making it home for the holiday...but the 2 voucher thing is SWEET! Congratulations.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that recently I started coloring in coloring books again. BUT only because I babysat a 5-year-old, and have a friend who has a 4-year-old. So, I have them on hand in case I have children here. So, perhaps the coloring lady just grabbed the quickest thing she could find? At least she could color inside the lines. You'd be surprised how many adults can't (but I can of course.) lol

Anonymous said...

Congratulations :)

Claudine

ribbij said...

it's about time you slacker - I figured you would have traded one of your cell phones for your last voucher by now - where's that resourcefulness now?

Nichole said...

Also, I tagged you over at my blog to do a meme. Have fun!