Friday, July 20, 2007

Two People I Have Met

Everyone knows much of Hollywood has a drug problem, and I'm about to tell you one of the reasons why. There is a girl I work with at the gym and she blew me away the other day with her ignorance and stupidity. We were at work, and she asked me a question. It was a question that she had asked me twice before, and I told her that we had talked about it before. So, she apologizes and says that she used to do drugs and it messed up her memory or something like that. I asked her what drugs she has done, and she basically said she has tried everything. And guess what? She is only 21. She is an actress here, but she doesn't seem very focused on it. Anyways, so we started talking about drugs, and when I told her that I had never done drugs before, not even tried any (and I was telling the absolute truth), she gave me this look as if I was the only person in America to have never done drugs. So, she asks me haven't I ever been curious to try and I tell her no, there is no point, it's stupid. Then, this is what she said that blew me away. She asks me what would happen if I got a role in a movie sometime in the future and I had to play a drug addict or something. I told her that I would do my research like any other actor and just play the role. She has the nerve to tell me that that is not possible. In order for me to play that part effectively, I have to actually experience the effect of drugs!!! My mouth dropped. How idiotic can you be?? Now keep in mind, this is a girl who has no education and most likely dropped out of college BECAUSE the drugs she was on made her stupid enough to do something like that. I told her that acting is just that......acting. It is pretend, and a large part of acting is being able to imitate. She wasn't hearing it and still tried to convince me that I had to try drugs in order to play that role convincingly. At this point, I decided I was wasting my time talking to someone who had obviously killed millions of her brain cells and really wasn't on my level intellectually. I find myself thinking that a lot.

The point of me telling this story is that I believe things happen for a reason. And when you're a good person and have good karma, good things happen to you. I wanted to come to Hollywood right after high school, but due to circumstances out of my control, I just couldn't do it. So, I went to college, and while I was there, I was planning my move to Hollywood the whole time. I am so glad it happned that way. I did so much mental maturing during my 4 years in college, that I was a completely different person when I graduated from when I started. COMPLETELY different, in my eyes at least. What if I had moved out here at 18, and heard this bullsh*t from someone at that age? I hate to sound like an educational snob, but I just don't understand how people can be so stupid, especially when they tell you they grew up in a functional family with good parents. I don't want to walk around thinking I'm too good to talk to certain people, but I'm sorry, I like to have stimulating conversations. It's just frustrating to try and have a conversation with stupid, ignorant people. Don't get me wrong, this really isn't about education as much as it is about common sense. There are plenty of people out there who didn't go to college that are very smart, and there are plenty of people who did go to college who are just plain stupid. To sum it all up.....I just can't talk to people who spew garbage out of their mouth like this chick from my job.....end of story.

On the opposite end, I met a wonderful lady at my other job, the hotel that I work at. Her nameis Kate and she is into doing meditations, guided relaxations, and astrological chart readings. She stayed at my hotel for about 2 weeks and she said as soon as she saw me, she knew she needed to help me. She said something about my aura being really bright and she was just drawn to me. So, one night while I was working overnight, she brought her computer down to the front desk. She has this program on there where you enter someone's name, birthdate and city they were born in, and pulls up their astrological chart on the day they were born, and there is also a progress chart, that shows how that chart moves as the person moves through life. She was reading my chart and telling my why I was so stressed out, why I am very impatient, why I am a go getter, what I need to do to feel better, and some stuff about the future. Now, the interesting thing is this. I said in one of m earlier posts, that back in 2005 I went to see a psychic back in Ohio. The things she told me matched exactly to what the psychic had said. So, now I'm hearing the same things from 2 totally separate sources. Coincidence? Not even possible. I wass really amazed. She said that in the next few months I was going to have some really good opportunities present themselves to me.

She also kept mentioning how she felt the need to help me. As we were talking, I told her about Jill and her Criminal Minds Blog and Jill was this complete stranger, who happened to come into contact with me through the blogs, and just wanted to help me, for no apparent reason. Kate explained to me that people, including herself, just want to help me. She made me write down on a piece of paper, "People want to help me" so I can look at it everyday and realize that it is ok to accept help from peolple. See, my problem is that I am such an independent person, that I don't really like it when I need help. I mean, my mom sends me money every so often and I tell her to stop because I feel like I should be doing this on my own. Even Jill who runs the Criminal Minds Fanatic Blog will tell you that when she helped me to get my 3rd SAG voucher on the show, I kept thanking her over and over and telling her I owe her everything. And she would tell me, "you don't owe me anything". And I would say, "why are so adamant on helping me? I'm a complete stranger". And she said, "Because I had the opportunuty to. What kind of person would I be if I didn't do that for you?". And I'd thank her some more, and it got ot a point where I think I started to irritate her and she stopped me and said, "Look, this is something I wanted to do. You've thanked me enough, now this is the last time, and let's just go on with what we're doing". I realize that it must have been annoying for me to be thanking her EVERY TIME I talked to her, but from my perspective, I just kept asking myself, "how on earth do I deserve this?" I almost felt guilty. But I have now realized that it is ok to accept the help, and that one day when I have the resources to help someone, I will eagerly do so. All I wanted Jill to know was that she picked the right person to help and that I would not take it lightly or for granted. This is serious for me and I'm determined to be successful. I hope she realizes that.

Jill and all of you who have left such positive comments on my blog have taught me a lot about the importance of just being nice and helping people when you can. It makes the world a better place!

I'm done ranting for now, time for work!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never done drugs either Kris, or have smoked a cigarette for that matter! While it is uncommon, it's not impossible :)

Anonymous said...

same here, Kris :) I've never done any drugs, or smoked any cigarettes, and I've honestly never had the desire to try any of it. More power to you :)

Keep on being awesome

Anonymous said...

My husband is a nurse. He sees, several times a week, patients with chest pain who wail, "Why is God punishing me with this pain?" To which he has taken to answering, "Because He wants you to stop snorting coke before it kills you." Sigh.

As for people helping you -- I don't know about the others, but I know I'm trying to encourage you because you're already working so damn hard. I'm sure it's exhausting at times, or discouraging, or scary, and maybe a few kinds words from across the country will make it just a little easier.

I've already told you, but it bears repeating -- your journey is inspiration to me. You're out there chasing your dream with all your time and will, not dabbling and wishing but actually running it down. So, yeah, I can submit to one more publisher. Or a dozen more. Or whatever it takes to run down my own dream.

Criminal Minds Fan said...

If you help people because it makes you feel good to do so then you are the one that gains and not them. When a person has the opportunity to help another people and they let slip by them then they are wasting what life is really all about. Life is about doing whatever you can in the course of each day to leave the things you have touched in better shape than the day before.

Nichole said...

There is nothing shameful about accepting help. Just do it with grace and love, and the givers in your life will be happy.

And, I have been high once...sadly. Though I will say that the one singular experience with drugs doesn't necessarily equip me with the skills needed to portray a druggie. Just ignore your coworker. She's nuts.

PS: sorry I haven't been around virtually lately. ;)