Saturday, August 19, 2006

My Worst Day in L.A. Thus Far!

This blogging every few days thing is going to really get to me sooner or later, but what the heck. I can write if people show an interest.

Hollywood really worked me the last 2 days. Thursday I was on a show that premiers this fall and it's called Vanished. Call time was 8 am and we didn't get out of there until 11 pm, which means I didn't get to bed until after midnight. I had to then get up at 4 am Friday morning to be at Universal Studios for another show called Re-Animated. This show contributed to my worst day ever here in L.A., but I'll get to that in a second.

There were 2 things I wanted to say about being on Vanished, but I can only remember one. I need to start writing stuff down so I don't forget anything. Anyways, this is going to seem kind of bad on my part, but yall know how I am. So, this episode of Vanished was filmed on location at City Hall dowtown. We were more than half way through the day, and everyone was sitting outside, under the tents they had set up for us. I'm there talking to some of the other people, and a few feet away from us is this fat man talking to some people. He was trying to be funny and tell jokes and stuff when all of a sudden his chair broke from underneath him and he went crashing to the ground. I did one of those things where you start laughing, then you pull yourself together real quick and hold it in. This is one of my biggest challenges in life: containing my laughter. Ask anyone who knows me well. I admit it's bad, but I can't help it. If something is funny, I laugh. It's like a reflex. So, I'm holding it in, make sure the man is not hurt, then I start laughing again. Then one of the production people come over to see what happens as the man is still on the ground, obviously embarrassed. The chair is completely demolished! Seriously, it's just like a chunk of metal and plastic. So the man starts explaining what happened, and that it has actually happened to him before. He admitted that he heard the chair giving way earlier and that he should have gotten another chair, but he didn't.

Now, I'm not trying to be mean, but the man had to be at least 350 pounds. You're gonna tell me that it's happened to him before, he knows he's big, AND he hears and feels the chair making sounds that it shouldn't make, and he didn't do anything about it?!?!?!?!! Give me a break. Big people have to watch out for those things just the same as I have to watch out for my laughter, because I know how I am. It reminds of the issue of airlines charging big people double if they take up 2 seats on the plane. It makes sense. That's another seat that the airline could have sold to another person. Does that make sense to anyone else? He could have so easily saved himself the embarrassment, but he chose not to. Oh well.

On to my worst day, which was yesterday. I had to go to Universal Studios for the new show Re-Animated. I just knew from the title of this show that it was going to be a bad day, but I wasn't quite sure how. I get there, and it is a kids show. The scene they were shooting took place at an amusement park. And you know what that means???? Yep, upwards of 300 little brats screaming, yelling, being hyper, etc., etc. It was terrible. There kids hitting us with balloons, popping balloons, punching and kicking the people in the furry costumes. And we were there for 10 hours. I was talking to people who have been doing background work for a long time and they said this was the worst show they'd EVER done. I agreed, and all we did was bitch about it the entire day. Don't get me wrong, I like kids, and I'm good with kids, but I can't take 300 of them unsupervised on set (most parents waited in the holding area). We heard kids cussing, talking about sex, and all kinds of other stuff. I have never been so annoyed in my life. Never again!!!!

Then you have the infamous stage mother. I'm sure you guys know what they are like. There was one scene where a few of the kids had to ride on a train that went through the park while all the other kids were just runnin around the park and stuff. We saw one mother harassing the director to put her son on the train because his best friend was on the train. The director told her they had enough kids on the train, and she told him to take one of the kids off so her son could go on!!! And the kid was just standing there. He couldn't have cared less to be on the train. And on top of that, this is BACKGROUND work. There were so many kids there that you won't be able to see their individual faces. I feel so sorry for kids whose parents are stage parents. The parents push them and push them and punish them if they don't do something right. And in reality, the kid probably just wants to be somewhere playing with his friends than being on a set all day. It's crazy. I had never been so happy for a day to end. I had worked 25 hours out of the last 32.

Hopefully within the next few weeks different things will start to manifest, if you know what I mean, so that I can post some really exciting stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG i wish i couldda been there when the chair broke!!!! but u KNOW that if i was there thered be no way that we couldda not laughed! oh i can picture it now! LOLOLOLOLOLOL